DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Led by a Nate Tellier (Attleboro, Mass.) 4-for-5 performance at the plate, the Corsairs set season highs in hits and homeruns in a 15-9 slugfest with visiting Western New England on Thursday afternoon.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 15, Western New England 9
Records: UMass Dartmouth (14-11) | Western New England (15-9)
How it Happened
Tellier slammed his first two career homeruns in the leadoff spot for the Corsairs, leading three UMass Dartmouth players with multiple hits. Senior Taylor Cacciola (West Greenwich, R.I.), Tellier and freshman Mitch Baker (Braintree, Mass.) combined for nine of the hosts' 15 RBIs. Junior Gianni Esposito (Peabody, Mass.) got the start for the Corsairs on the day, pitching the first four innings, allowing five hits, while striking out four batters.
UMass Dartmouth jumped out to an early start, as Tellier launched his first collegiate homerun into the trees in left field. With a runner on second, Cacciola laced a single up the middle, driving in freshman Mike Knell (Dennis, Mass.) from second. Ezequiel Sanchez (Mantai, Puerto Rico) then launched the first pitch he saw over the left field fence to make it 5-0 in favor of the Corsairs.
After both teams plated a run in the second inning, the Corsairs answered with four in the third. Following a one-out double from Sanchez, junior Mac Curran (Lakeville, Mass.) singled to right field for the RBI. With two outs in the inning, Baker sent out his second homerun of the season. Junior Josh O'Neill (Halifax, Mass.) flared a single to left field, before walking home on Tellier's triple down the right field line.
The Golden Bears would claw their way back in the top of the fourth. The first three batter sreached base safely, resulting in two runs. Another was added when Brian Valeriano (Stratford, Conn.) lifted a fly ball to deep right field, scoring Jared Rosenblatt (Avon, Conn.) from third. The visitors then cut the deficit down to 10-6 after scoring two runs on back-to-back triples in the fifth.
The Corsairs then fully pulled away in the sixth inning. Tellier launched his second dinger of the game and two batters later, Cacciola hit his LEC-leading fifth homer, driving in two runs on the blast. UMass Dartmouth scored a run apiece in the seventh and eighth to make it 15-6 before the Golden Bears scored three runs in the top half of the ninth, including a two-run shot to right field off the bat of Ben LaCroix (Branford, Conn.)
Inside the Numbers
- The combination of Zack DelVecchio (Braintree, Mass.), Chase Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) and Louis Berdecia (Mahopac, N.Y.) threw five innings in relief for UMass Dartmouth, giving up just five hits and allowing one earned run.
- Every starter for the Corsairs registered a hit on the day, with seven batters recording multiple-base knocks.
- Tellier is the second UMass Dartmouth player this season to hit two homeruns in a game. Knell is the only other to do so, with a two long-ball performance against Roger Williams.
- The last time UMass Dartmouth hit five or more homeruns in a game was on April 26, 2009 against Western Connecticut.
- With today's win, the Corsairs rise to 14-4 all-time against Western New England.
The Corsairs returns to Little East Conference action against Plymouth State for a doubleheader starting at 12 p.m. on Saturday. Western New England returns home to play host to Rensselaer for a doubleheader on the same day.