DARTMOUTH, Mass. – A 14-0 run to end the first half and a season-high 20 points by senior Abi Akanni (Fitchburg, Mass.) sparked the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on Saturday, as the Corsairs buried 35-of-56 (62 percent) from the field to cruise by Southern Maine 85-58 in Little East Conference competition.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 85, Southern Maine 58
Records: UMass Dartmouth (9-5, 3-1 LEC) | Southern Maine (5-9, 0-4 LEC)
How it Happened
Corsair sophomore Atakan Akcam (Ankara, Turkey) broke the 9-9 tie with a 3-pointer less than four minutes into the first half, and UMass Dartmouth never looked back. UMass Dartmouth's lead rose to 12 points midway through the stanza on a Mert Sert (Istanbul, Turkey) layup, and the Corsairs padded the margin with three minutes remaining. Akanni hit back-to-back jumpers to kick off UMass Dartmouth's 14-0 run to close the half, scoring 11 of the Corsairs' points in that span to round out the opening 20 minutes with 18 points.
The second half spelled much of the same, as the hosts built its 20-point halftime lead to as much as 26 at 14:16. Southern Maine's James Starks III (Miami, Fla.) twice cut the lead under 20 points with four-straight points around the 10-minute mark, but the Corsairs closed out the half by building back their advantage to as high as 28 points before the final buzzer.
Inside the Numbers
- The Corsairs rained season-high totals in both field goals made (35) and field goal percentage while also holding Southern Maine to just 29 percent (21-of-71) from the field, the lowest percentage for a UMass Dartmouth opponent this season.
- Akanni's 9-of-14 shooting performance led four Corsairs in double-figures, with senior Chris Mendes (Somerset, Mass.) totaling 15 points, junior Tucker Bouchard (Kingston, Mass.) 10 and sophomore Nick Portelance (Fairhaven, Mass.) and 17-point, 10-rebound double-double.
- Starks was Southern Maine's leader on the day, tallying his ninth double-double of the season at 14 points and 13 rebounds.
- 11 Corsairs cracked the scoring column on the outing, while 12 snagged at least one rebound.
- The Huskies have only won nine games against UMass Dartmouth since 1989, with Southern Maine's last with coming in 2013. The Corsairs have now won the last eight meetings.
The Corsairs welcome Rhode Island College as Little East Conference play continues Wednesday, with game time slated for 7:30 p.m.