BOSTON – Six University of Massachusetts Dartmouth players reached double-figures, led by career-highs from sophomore Arinze Obiora (Hyde Park, Mass.) and Joshua Imadiyi (Lynn, Mass.) as the Corsairs picked up a wire-to-wire 101-74 win at UMass Boston on Wednesday evening.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 101, UMass Boston 74
Records: UMass Dartmouth (12-6, 6-2 LEC) | UMass Boston (10-8, 3-5 LEC)
How it Happened
UMass Dartmouth opened up a 23-4 lead in the first eight minutes of play to step on the gas quickly and effectively. Imadiyi dropped a jumper and senior Chris Mendes (Somerset, Mass.) drained a 3-pointer to start the Corsairs off 5-0. With a 14-4 lead through five minutes of play, UMass Dartmouth embarked on a 9-0 run over more than three minutes featuring buckets by four players. UMass Boston's Dan Powers (Westwood, Mass.) hit a 3-pointer to stop the bleeding midway through the half, but the Corsairs twice more extended the lead past 20 points, using 45 percent (20-of-44) shooting over the first 20 minutes to take a 46-23 lead into break.
UMass Boston then improved its offensive output in the second half, shooting 60 percent (21-of-35) from the field, but UMass Dartmouth's lead proved too much to diminish. The Beacons started the half on a 12-4 run, but four points from Obiora and a 3-pointer by Tucker Bouchard (Kingston, Mass.) put the visitors' advantage right back at 26. The Corsairs would go up 31 midway through, punctuated by an Obiora fast-break dunk, and the lead would hover between 25 and 30 points for the remainder of the outing.
Inside the Numbers
- Obiora led all scorers with 21 points, easily surpassing his previous career-high of 13 points while adding eight rebounds.
- Imadiyi and Mendes each totaled 15 points, with Mendes going 3-for-3 from beyond the arc and Imadiyi reaching his Corsair career-high in his first career start.
- Three Corsairs, including Bouchard, Nick Portelance (Fairhaven, Mass.) and Atakan Akcam (Ankara, Turkey) totaled 12 points. Bouchard registered all of his points from 3-point range, and Portelance posted his seventh double-double of the season with 11 boards.
- The Corsairs connected on a season-high 62 percent (8-of-13) from beyond the arc, with Mendes and Bouchard combining for seven made 3-pointers.
- Wednesday marks UMass Dartmouth's first 100-plus point outing of the season.
- Powers led UMass Boston's efforts with 17 points and seven boards.
- UMass Dartmouth has now won the last four meetings with the Beacons and seven of the last eight.
The Corsairs are back at the Tripp Athletic Center on Saturday, hosting Plymouth State at 3 p.m. as UMass Dartmouth goes for a season-sweep of the Panthers.