DARTMOUTH, Mass. – A season-high 58 percent shooting performance from 3-point range built the lead that the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth needed, as the Corsairs held off the late surge by Roger Williams, 88-79, to secure their sixth-straight win.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 88, Roger Williams 79
Records: UMass Dartmouth (6-1, 1-0 LEC) | Roger Williams (7-2, 2-1 CCC)
How It Happened
The early back-and-forth was broken midway through the first half, when UMass Dartmouth ignited from beyond the arc to open up a 10-point lead. After a long scoreless streak, senior Joshua Imadiyi (Lynn, Mass.) registered the first of his four 3-pointers on the lead to put the Corsairs ahead 22-15.
Moments later, sophomore Cody Borges (Dartmouth, Mass.) hit his third long-range bucket of the half, extending the Corsairs' lead to 30-20. The basket ignited a 13-6 run by the hosts, featuring eight points by Imadiyi and another 3-pointer for Borges, and gave UMass Dartmouth a 43-31 lead at the break.
RWU quickly went about reversing the 3-point shootout in the second half, opening the stanza with a bucket by Rich Pugliese (Middlebury, Conn.). For the rest of the contest, the Hawks challenged, twice cutting the deficit to five before a Nick Marini (Loudonville, N.Y.) tied the game at 58 with 7:38 left.
Twice more, the Hawks would even the score, but with just under three minutes remaining, UMass Dartmouth freshman Jake Ashworth (Fairhaven, Mass.) put the game out of reach for good on the only Corsair 3-pointer of the half. RWU junior Austin Coene (Tyngsborough, Mass.) did his best to keep the Hawks within shouting distance, but the Corsairs finished off the final minutes with free throws.
Inside the Numbers
- UMass Dartmouth was paced by double-double performances by Imadiyi (21 points, 11 rebounds) and junior Arinze Obiora (Lagos, Nigeria) (20 points, 10 rebounds), both posting their third such outings of the season.
- Coene was the spark for RWU all evening, finishing with a game-high 36 points on 12-for-19 shooting, adding four assists.
- Borges finished with 17 points, including 4-of-6 from beyond the arc, with Ashworth and Brandon Williams Jr. (Dorchester, Mass.) tallying 10 and 11, respectively.
- The Corsairs out-muscled the Hawks on the boards, 44-27, including 17 on the offensive end and put in 14 second-chance points.
- UMass Dartmouth rises to 6-1 to start the season for the first time since 2009-10.
UMass Dartmouth opens its Little East Conference home slate on Saturday, hosting Western Connecticut for a 3 p.m. tip. Roger Williams breaks for the holiday, returning to the court on Saturday, Dec. 30 at Worcester State.