Walters, Solloway Salvage 3-3 OT Tie with Worcester State

Walters, Solloway Salvage 3-3 OT Tie with Worcester State

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. – University of Massachusetts Dartmouth senior forward Shaun Walters (Plymouth, Mich.) scored an extra-attacker goal with 18 seconds remaining in regulation and sophomore netminder JJ Solloway (Derry, N.H.) made a season-high 49 saves to help the Corsairs salvage a 3-3 overtime tie against the Worcester State Lancers this afternoon in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) contest at Hetland Arena.

In search of an equalizer in the waning minutes of regulation, UMass Dartmouth (0-1-2) pulled its goalkeeper to gain an extra attacker.  The strategy proved beneficial as Walters netted his second marker of the period, converting a feed from freshman Casey Shea (Woburn, Mass.) and sophomore Mike Kelly (Stoneham, Mass.) to force the extra session.

Moments earlier, Worcester State (1-1-2) scored what threatened to become the game-winning goal, as senior Rich Ledy (Marquette, Mich.) sent a tape-to-tape pass along the left wing that led classmate Andrew Bates (Marblehead, Mass.) to beat the hosts' keeper short side to regain the visitors' advantage.

The Lancers recorded two goals in the first 11 minutes of regulation to stake themselves to the early lead.  Senior Nathan Stanley (Meridian, Idaho) cracked the scoring column at the 2:23 mark of the first period, as the left winger broke in behind the UMass Dartmouth backline and capitalized on the 1-v-1 opportunity for his team-leading fourth goal of the season. 

Worcester State continued to apply the offensive pressure as the visitors doubled their advantage in the 11th minute.   Junior Joe White (Wonder Lake, Ill.) finished a feed from freshman Brain Fahey (Hudson, Mass.) and Taylor Laneville (Edmonds, Wash.) to extend the lead to 2-0.  The Lancers peppered the Corsair cage throughout the first period, holding a decisive 20-6 lead in shots.

Despite having limited offensive chances in the first 20 minutes of action, the Corsairs were able to gain the momentum entering the first intermission as Shea showcased some crafty stick work to produce his first marker of the his collegiate career with just 38 seconds remaining.  

UMass Dartmouth began to settle into the conference contest in the second stanza, closing the margin in the shots column to a 13-9 visitors' advantage.  The Corsairs created several quality scoring chances, but were unable to net the equalizer.

The hosts wasted no time evening the ledger, as Walters converted an off-balance shot that trickled over the goal line just 41 seconds into the third.  Both Shea and freshman Jaret Babych (North Vancouver, B.C.) were credited with helpers on the tying marker.

In between the pipes, Solloway stopped a season-high 49 attempts to earn the tie.  The Derry, N.H. product registered double-digits saves in each period, including 18 in the first stanza to keep the Corsairs within striking distance.  Junior Salvatore Tecci (Franklin, Mass.) played all 65 minutes, recording 14 of his 28 stops after the beginning of the third period.

UMass Dartmouth will return to action at 6 p.m. on Nov. 15, when the Corsairs travel to MASCAC rival Plymouth State University.  Worcester State will also remain in the conference circuit on Saturday, when the Lancers host Fitchburg State University at the Hart Recreation Center on the campus of the College of the Holy Cross.