BOSTON – No. 3-ranked UMass Boston shut the door on UMass Dartmouth as the Beacons opened their home schedule on Saturday, skating to a 6-0 win over the Corsairs in a non-conference tilt.
Score: UMass Boston 6, UMass Dartmouth 0
Records: UMass Boston (2-0-0) | UMass Dartmouth (1-1-0)
How it Happened
UMass Boston found the net early to start the contest. At the 4:25 marker, Colin Larkin (Waterford, Mich.) capitalized on the power play when he scored on a one-timer from the right circle, beating Drew Michals (Newton, Mass.) to the near post.
The Beacons would tack on another goal before the end of the first period. With five minutes remaining, Drew Gannon (Plano, Texas) found the back of the net to extend the lead to 2-0. Gannon then tallied the first goal of the second period before Dakota Keene (Poland, Maine) received the pass from Daniel Nachbaur (Richland, Wash.) mid-stride and was able to find the back of the net, going low glove-side on Michals.
In the third period, Derek Caruso (Port Washington, N.Y.) broke free from the Corsair defense and scored a shorthanded goal on the backhand, over the sprawled out Michals. UMass Boston added one more goal as Bryan Carter (Hudson, Mass.) found the back of the net with 2:41 left in the game.
Inside the Numbers
- Michals made a season-high 51 stops on the afternoon for the Corsairs, the second-highest save total of his career. He previously made 55 saves against Babson last season.
- Freshman Jordan Bustard (Flanders, N.J.) recorded his first collegiate shutout after turning aside 17 Corsair shots.
- UMass Boston outshot UMass Dartmouth 57-17 and won 44 out of 72 face-offs.
- The Beacons went 2-4 on their power play chances, while the Corsairs went 0-4.
- Junior Casey Shea (Woburn, Mass.) led the way for the Corsairs' offense, firing three shots on net and winning 12 face-offs.
UMass Dartmouth will return to Hetland Arena to host Plymouth State on Thursday for a MASCAC tilt on Military Appreciation Night starting at 7:30 p.m.