SALEM, Mass. – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth obtained two leads in the second period, but both time's, Salem State responded, as the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) tilt went to overtime where it ended with a 2-2 draw art the Rockett Arena Saturday afternoon.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 2, Salem St. 2
Records: UMass Dartmouth 9-10-2, 6-6-2 MASCAC | Salem St. 8-9-4, 5-7-2 MASCAC
How it Happened
Mike Sones (Waterdown, Ont.) broke a two-game goalless streak in the 7th minute of the second period when he charged the puck up the length of the ice from his own net, before finishing the powerplay rush with his 15th goal of the season.
After Salem State responded on a marker from Mackenzie Cook (Reading, Mass.), the Corsairs regained the lead with less than a minute left in the period when Noah Anderson (Groveland, N.Y.) sent a shot off the leg pads of the Vikings netminder, allowing Brandon Berkley (Scottsdale, Ariz.) an open net following the rebound.
Fifteen seconds later, senior Derek Makimma (Swartz Creek, Mi.) leveled the score for Salem State as he picked up his 10th tally of the year off a primary-feed from Daniel Campbell (Waterloo, Ont.).Defense and stellar goalkeeping took over for the third period and in the five minutes of overtime, as neither team could connect on a combined 34 shots, closing the game with the 2-2 score.
Inside the Numbers
- Casey Shea (Woburn, Mass.) and Sones connected on the game's first goal to even up their points total at 29 apiece, slotting them second on the team.
- Two of Berkley's three goals this season have come against Salem State.
- The Corsairs fired 42 shots in the game. That is the most in a game since January 11th against the Vikings.
- Drew Michals (Newton, Mass.) finished with 29 saves on 31 shots faced while Jason Pucciarelli (Newmarket, Ont.) stopped 40 chances.
- UMass Dartmouth wraps up the season-series with Salem State at 1-1-1.
The Corsairs return to home-ice to host the top-team in the conference, as Plymouth State comes to Hetland Arena on Thursday February 8th at 2:00 pm.