Owls Clip Corsairs In Little East Opener

Owls Clip Corsairs In Little East Opener

NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. -- The Keene State College men's lacrosse team registered five goals in each of the first two quarters to open a 10-3 halftime lead en route to a 15-7 victory this afternoon over the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in the Little East Conference men's lacrosse opener.

The Owls (2-6) snapped a six-game losing streak, while handing the Corsairs (5-3) their second straight loss.

Sophomore Bo Prozinski (Ashland, Mass.) paced the UMass Dartmouth offense with a hat trick, while junior Riley Baxter (Groton, Mass./Groton-Dunstable) recorded a marker and two assists for three points.  Senior Justin Lawless (Quincy, Mass./Archbishop Williams) found the back of the net twice, while senior Adam Niden (Walpole, Mass.) completed the hosts scoring.

Sophomore Tyler McKelvie (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxborough) led Keene State with four goals and three assists for seven points.  Freshman Tyler Reilly (Grafton, Mass.) made an immediate impact in his conference debut, netting four markers and handing out two helpers, while junior Ryan Hart (Richmond, N.H./Monadnock) turned in a balance scoring effort with three goals and three assists. 

Sophomore goalie Dylan Florian (West Hartford, Conn./Kingswood-Oxford) reached double digits in saves for the fifth consecutive match to earn his first victory of the season.  Florian stopped 17 of the 24 shots he face, while collecting a team-high seven ground balls.

The Owls utilized a quick start to open the contest with three consecutive markers. Ryan Hart sandwiched a pair of goals between a freshman Bryan Rotatori (Grafton, Mass.) strike to give the visitors an early 3-0 advantage five minutes, 44 seconds into regulation.

Baxter put the hosts on the scoreboard with his 11th goal of the season, but Keene State responded with a two straight scores. Lawless closed out the first quarter with his third goal of the campaign.

The visitors seized control of the contest in the second frame, outscoring the Corsairs by a 5-1 margin to build 10-3 advantage at the intermission.  McKelvie and Reilly fueled the surge with two markers and an assist apiece.

UMass Dartmouth opened the second half with a pair of markers to trim its deficit to 10-5.  Prozinski converted off a feed from Baxter, while Niden sent home a pass from sophomore Andrew Johnson (Hopkinton, Mass.).  However, the Owls answered with five consecutive goals to dash any hopes of a Corsair comeback.

Senior Nick Thayer (Chelmsford, Masss.) stopped six attempts in 48 minutes, 24 seconds of action, while freshman Matt LaFond (Bridgewater, Mass./Bridgewater-Raynham) made five saves in relief.

Keene State held the advantage in shots (43-39), ground balls (34-29), and turnovers (22-20).  The Owls special teams did not allow a man-down goal in six opportunities, while scoring once on three of their chances.

UMass Dartmouth will return to action at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 1, when the Corsairs host MIT in a non-conference tilt.