Men's Lacrosse Rallies to Win Opener at MIT, 10-7

Men's Lacrosse Rallies to Win Opener at MIT, 10-7

March 7, 2009

Final Stats

CAMBRIDGE, MA- Senior attackman Matt Leary (Framingham, MA/Framingham HS) scored three goals in the fourth quarter to help the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's men's lacrosse team pull away from host MIT for a 10-7 victory in the 2009 season opener for both teams at Roberts Field Saturday afternoon.

Leary scored with 7:44 remaining and again with 4:56 to play after sophomore Josh Arsenault (Revere, MA/ Malden Catholic HS) had given the Corsairs the lead for good when he scored with 5:07 remaining in the third quarter. Ernie Park scored for MIT wit 4:23 left in the fourth quarter to cut UMD's margin to 9-7, but Leary finished the scoring with a goal with 53 seconds remaining.

The Corsairs built a 4-2 first quarter lead, but the Engineers came back, outscoring UMass Dartmouth in the second quarter, 4-1, to take a 6-5 lead at halftime.

"We played good defense, and we overcame a lot of our first game mistakes," said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach Kevin Mahoney. "Our freshman goalkeeper, Cameron Crown (Walpole, MA/Walpole HS) made a lot of good saves, and our upperclassmen took over in the fourth quarter and we won. We didn't play our best game and we still were able to come away with a victory, so we're happy about that."

Leary led the Corsairs with four goals and two assists, Arsenault added two goals and three assists, and junior Andrew Foster (Newbury, MA/Danvers HS) and senior midfielder Steve Colella (Wakefield, MA/Wakefield HS) each scored twice. Dylan Roden scored twice and Ryan Ballentine added a goal and three assists for the Engineers.

MIT out shot UMass Dartmouth, 39-32. Crown made 20 saves, while Engineer goalkeeper Garth Grove made nine saves.

The Corsairs improved to 1-0 with the victory, while the Engineers dropped to 0-1 with the defeat. UMass Dartmouth will return to action when they host Roger Williams Wednesday afternoon.