Corsairs Outlast Massachusetts Maritime, 3-1

Corsairs Outlast Massachusetts Maritime, 3-1
DARTMOUTH, Mass. - UMass Dartmouth senior Karim Fernandes (New Bedford, Mass.) netted  his first goal of the season early Tuesday evening as the Corsairs held on to defeat Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 3-1, at Cressy Field. With the non-leauge victory, UMass Dartmouth rises to 5-4-1 on the season while the Buccaneers slip to 4-5-0.
Fernandes' mark came as the first goal of the game, as the defender got an early chance on a breakaway, converting in the second minute of play. Scoring would then resume in the second half, as the Buccaneers' Thomas McCarthy (Tybee Island, Ga.) was able to even the score early in the period off a free kick from sophomore Michael Rouette (Three Rivers, Mass.). The goal numbered the team-best sixth of the year for McCarthy.
Despite being outshot, the remainder of the contest's scoring belonged to the Corsairs, as junior Wilfred Ghanyea (Monrovia, Liberia) pulled UMass Dartmouth back in front during the 57th minute. Ghanyea beat the keeper in a foot race on a well-placed ball from senior Corey Morris (Freehold, N.J.).
UMass Dartmouth's insurance was a Buccaneer own goal, tallied with six minutes remaining.
Junior Luis Carranza (New Bedford, Mass.) earned his second win of the season in goal for the Corsairs, stopping five shots on the contest. Carranza remains unbeaten between the pipe, sitting at 2-0-1. Massachusetts Maritime's Joe Cohen (jPlymouth, Mass.) took the loss, stopping three shots to drop to 2-4-0 on the season.
On the night, the Buccaneers were able to foot 12 shots to UMass Dartmouth's 10, with both teams producing an even six shots on goal apiece. Massachusetts Maritime owned the game's two corner kicks.
Both teams will return to league play on Saturday, with UMass Dartmouth hosting Little East Conference foe Southern Maine at 1 p.m. Massachusetts Maritime will travel to Fitchburg State for a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference matchup.