UMass Dartmouth Men’s Soccer, Dean College Play to 2-2 Tie

UMass Dartmouth Men’s Soccer, Dean College Play to 2-2 Tie

DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Even with two extra periods of overtime, no winner emerged as the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth and Dean College played to a tightly-contested 2-2 draw in non-conference action Thursday night.

The Basics

Score: UMass Dartmouth 2 | Dean College 2
Records: UMass Dartmouth 2-3-1, 2-0 LEC | Dean College 5-0-1, 1-0 NECC

How it Happened

The host jumped on the board in the first ten minutes as junior Vangel Kutulla (Norwood, Mass.) entered the ball into the box on a corner kick to senior Austin Dias (Smithfield, R.I.). The initial shot from the midfielder was deflected, but Dias stood with the play, collecting the rebound before scoring his first of the game.  

Dean knotted the score in the 38th minute as Sam Fonseca (Fogo, Cape Verde) applied pressure on the opposing defense by putting a show toward the net that ricocheted off the crossbar. A miscue on the collection of the ball resulted in an own goal for UMass Dartmouth.   

In the second stanza, the Corsairs again came out and posted a tally on the board in the first ten minutes. A free-kick resulted in a loose ball in the front of the net, and Dias capitalized on the chance for his second of the game and third of the year (2-1).

Shortly after the go-ahead goal from the host, the Bulldogs scored their first goal of the game following a foul inside the box, giving a penalty kick to senior Pepe Vieira (Brockton, Mass.) who converted on the opportunity equalize the game.

After no winner was decided in regulation, the game was forced into overtime where the only promising opportunity came for Dean with five minutes left. The Bulldogs put a shot on goal which was saved by Mike Tranghese (Monson, Mass.) but left the net vacant.  With the wide-opened target, Dean fired again on what looked to be the game-winner, until Tony Centeio (Whitman, Mass.) made a last-chance dive to knock the ball off the line.

Inside the Numbers

  • The teams were locked in shots for regulation time with 17 apiece, but Dean College held the advantage in overtime, 6-2.
  • Senior Fabio Araujo (Fogo, Cape Verde) finished with a game-high eight shots while three others had multiple chances for UMass Dartmouth.
  • The Corsairs finished the game with more saves from their goalie, 8-5, with four key stops coming in the second-half from Tranghese. Sophomore Danny Andrade (New Bedford, Mass.) registered two saves in the first half.
  • Tuesday marked the first-ever meeting between Dean College and UMass Dartmouth.  

Up Next

The Corsairs return to action Saturday in a LEC matchup at Western Connecticut at 3:00 P.M.  Dean College is also back in action Saturday, when it plays Newbury College at 12:30 P.M.