DARTMOUTH, Mass. - The No. 18 University of Massachusetts women's basketball team opened the season in impressive fashion as it steamrolled Rivier College 103-24 in the opening round of the Fairfield Inn & Suites Classic at the Tripp Athletic Center.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 103, Rivier 24
Records: UMass Dartmouth (1-0, 0-0 LEC) | Rivier (0-2, 0-0 GNAC)
How it Happened
The Corsairs did not lose a step since last season as they opened the game owning a 23-9 scoring run in the first quarter to take a commanding lead. In the period, junior Nakira Examond (New Bedford, Mass.) and senior Alicia Kutil (Franklin, Mass.) combined for 18 points to pace the offense.
The trend continued offensively as the Corsairs scored its highest-point total in a quarter with 29 in the second period, as 11 came from senior Leah Douty (Framingham, Mass.) who knocked down five shots for the team. The defense also started to emerge as they clamped down on Rivier to allow just three points in the 10-minute span.
Rivier had its best quarter following the halftime break, scoring 10 points, but the Corsairs remained in complete control, scoring 28 to close out the period with the 80-22 lead.
In the fourth, all remaining Corsairs saw time but the story remained as they handily controlled the pace of action with a 23-2 run. Freshman Agar Felix (Somerville, Mass.) made her collegiate debut by knocking down a pair of triples and logging eight points in the quarter while Soraya Leon (Taunton, Mass.) and LeiAndra Busby (Brockton, Mass) finished strong with a career-high 11 points.
Inside the Numbers
- UMass Dartmouth made 40-for-84 attempts from the field and 8-for-23 from behind the arc. Rivier finished just six-for-51 and 1-for-11 in those same categories.
- The Corsairs had four players in double-figures as Examond led with a game-high 16 points on 6-for-7 shooting to go along with eight rebounds.
- Douty, Kutil and Leon rounded out the list of double-digit scorers.
- Busby finished with a career-high six points while Felix and Lauren Empey (Middleboro, Mass.) began their collegiate careers with eight and three points, respectively.
- It was the first time in program history the Corsairs scored over 100 points in a single game.
The Corsairs are back in action tomorrow when they take on Colby College for the Fairfield Inn Classic finale with a 2:00 P.M tip. Rivier also returns to the Tripp Athletic Center tomorrow against UMass Boston at 12:00 P.M.