NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth women's basketball team got out to a 19-1 lead after the first quarter and never looked back, topping Colby in a 68-43 final in the Fairfield Inn & Suites Classic at the Tripp Athletic Center.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 68, Colby 43
Records: UMass Dartmouth 2-0, 0-0 LEC, Colby 1-1, 0-0 NESCAC
How it Happened
The Corsair offense slowed in the second quarter following a big first that established the 19-1 lead. Colby was barely outlasted in the frame, 10-7, as junior Nakira Examond (New Bedford, Mass.) led UMass in the span with four points. Senior Leah Douty (Framingham, Mass.), sophomore Ashley Brown (Fairhaven, Mass.) and senior Chelsea Houlihan (Wolcott, Conn.) each added two points to the run.
The Mules kicked it into gear in the third quarter, doubling their point-total from the second stanza, but still, the Corsairs owned the advantage, 16-14. With 6:56 left in the third, senior Alicia Kutil (Franklin, Mass.) poured in three consecutive buckets to push the score up to 35-14.
With 8:23 left in the game, UMass Dartmouth stretched the lead with a 10-point unanswered streak to push the score to 57-28 with four different players contributing to the run. Colby controlled a 15-12 run to close the game, but the hole created in the first-quarter was too deep to climb out off as the clock expired on the 68-43 decision.
Inside the Numbers
- From the field, UMass Dartmouth finished 26-of-60 from the field (43.3%) and 0-of-8 from the triple while Colby finished 13-of-49 (26.5%) and 4-of-19 in those same categories.
- Saturday marked back-to-back days that the Corsair defense held the opponent below 30% from the field.
- The UMass offense was paced by forwards Kutil and Examond finished with 22 and 20 points, respectively. The duo also pulled down a combined 20 rebounds, as Examond notched her first double-double of the season will 11 rebounds.
- 50 of UMass Dartmouth's 68 points came from inside the paint, with the hosts outdoing the Mules 46-35 on the glass.
- The Corsairs knocked down 16-of-23 from the charity stripe to the Mules 13-of-30.
- UMass Dartmouth rises to 2-0 all-time against Colby, having previously beat the Mules in double overtime in 2016.
- Examond and Kutil were both named to the Fairfield Inn & Suites All-Tournament Team, with Kutil taking MVP honors with her 22 points on Saturday.
No. 18 UMass Dartmouth faces its first road challenge of the year when it travels to Roger Williams on Tuesday for a 6:00 P.M. tip-off. Colby hosts Thomas College (Me.) at 5:30 P.M. on the same day.
2017 Fairfield Inn & Suites All-Classic Team
Alicia Kutil – UMass Dartmouth, Most Valuable Player
Nakira Examond – UMass Dartmouth
Emilee Kacavas – Rivier
Joie Grassi – UMass Boston
Ainsley Burns – Colby