PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Leah Douty (Framingham, Mass.) dropped in a season-high 20 points including four 3-pointers while classmate Alicia Kutil (Franklin, Mass.) logged her sixth consecutive 10-plus point performance, as the Corsairs opened Little East Conference play with an 87-69 victory on the road at Plymouth State.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 87, Plymouth State 69
Records: UMass Dartmouth (4-2, 1-0 LEC), Plymouth State (2-4, 0-1 LEC)
How it Happened
UMass Dartmouth established a 24-15 lead at the end of the first quarter, and got to work on adding to it in the second with its best stanza of 26 points.
In the span, Douty erupted for eight of her 20 points while freshman Lauren Empey (Middleboro, Mass.) added six points off the bench. In the final four minutes before the half, the Corsairs controlled a 17-6 run to take the 50-31 lead into the intermission.
In the third quarter, the trend continued for the Corsairs as the offense put in over 20 points for the third frame, controlling a 22-16 margin on the scoreboard as Douty and Kutil sustained the drive with a combined 15 points.
In the final period, the Panthers got the advantage on the score as it went on a 22-15 run in the closing 10 minutes. Junior Brittany Roche (Londonderry, N.H.) ignited for 13 of her game-high 23 points, knocking down 5-of-6 shots in the span, but the Corsair lead was too large to overcome.
Inside the Numbers
- The Corsairs forced 27 turnovers in the contest while surrendering a season-low 10, scoring 33 points from the Panthers' miscues.
- UMass Dartmouth took a season-high 24 attempts from deep , making 13 of them while Plymouth State finished 5-of-11 from the triple.
- Douty's 20 points marks her second-highest career total, as she continues to have the Panthers' number. Last season, she poured in a career-high 26 against Plymouth State.
- Junior Nakira Examond (New Bedford, Mass.) and Kutil were locked with a team-high nine rebounds, but the Corsairs were outmatched on the glass for the second-consecutive game, 49-37.
- Sophomore Ashley Brown (Fairhaven, Mass.) recorded her second-straight game with double-digit points, dropping in 11 with three shots made from behind the arc.
- The Corsair reserves got back on track, contributing 28 points as Empey led the bench with eight points while junior Kailyn Milligan (Lakeville, Mass.) added seven.
UMass Dartmouth concludes its five-game road trip next Tuesday, Dec. 5 when it travels to Westfield State to take on the Owls at 5:30 PM.