DANBURY, Conn. – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth post presence proved unstoppable on Saturday afternoon as senior Alicia Kutil (Franklin, Mass.) and junior Nakira Examond (New Bedford, Mass.) combined for 57 points and 26 rebounds to power the Corsairs to a 105-83 victory over Little East Conference foe Western Connecticut State University at Feldman Arena. Kutil scored 27 of her career-high 33 points in the opening half, while Examond recorded 24 points to become the 12th member of the 1,000-point club in program history as the visitors earned their ninth consecutive conference victory.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 105, Western Connecticut 83
Records: UMass Dartmouth (15-3, 9-0 LEC) | Western Connecticut (10-10, 3-6 LEC)
How It Happened
Kutil paced UMass Dartmouth in the scoring column for the second straight contest, registering a double-double in the opening 20 minutes of play. The senior from Franklin, Mass. posted 27 points, on 12-for-17 from the field, and pulled in 12 boards to power the Crosairs to a 59-34 advantage at the half. She finished the contest with a career-high 33 points, putting two additional markers ahead of her previous best from Wednesday night against Rhode Island College, and collected 18 boards--surpassing the 16 rebounds she corralled on Jan. 31 at Regis.
Examond became the 12th player in women's basketball history to eclipse the 1,000-point barrier by scoring 13 of her 24 points in the second stanza. The junior from New Bedford, Mass. converted six of eight from the floor in just 10 minutes in the second half to reach the career milestone. She also pulled in eight rebounds and redirected three shots for the visitors. Junior Jess Korzec (West Brookfield, Mass.) netted a season-high 12 points, while sophomore Ashley Brown (Fairhaven, Mass.) nearly registered a double-double with nine points and 10 rebounds. Senior Chelsea Houlihan (Wolcott, Conn.) handed out a team-best six assists.
The Colonials saw four players achieve double-figure scoring, with three players doing so off the bench. Freshman Frances Snyder (Pine Plains, N.Y.) poured in 20 points in a reserve role for the hosts, shooting 9-of-18 from the field. Sophomore Genesis Torres (Stratford, Conn.) came just a rebound shy of a double-double for Western Connecticut.
Inside the Numbers
- The Corsairs broke their previous total for most points in a single game in program history, as the high-octane offense busted out for 105 points. The previous record was set in this season's opener, when UMass Dartmouth poured in 103 against Rivier University.
- Kutil moves into fifth all-time in scoring, as her personal-best output now sits her at 1,226 total points. The senior moves past former Corsair Colleen Moriarty, who finished her career with 1,219.
- In a sharing effort, the Blue and Gold dished out 32 assists, just one short of tying the 33-assist performance in the Rivier affair.
- The visitors stifled the Colonial offense, limiting the hosts to just 31-of-95 (32.6%) shooting on the afternoon.
- UMass Dartmouth posted a field-goal percentage of 51.6, its highest since Dec. 11 versus Johnson & Wales (R.I.) (56.9).
- The Corsairs have now taken the past four meetings with the Colonials.
UMass Dartmouth will return to action at 6pm on Monday, January 29, when the Corsairs face Williams College at the Tripp Athletic Center.