DARTMOUTH, Mass. – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth field hockey team pulled forward to 2-2 in Little East Conference play, coasting to a 2-0 victory against the visiting Fitchburg State Falcons on Saturday afternoon.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 2 | Fitchburg State 0
Records: UMass Dartmouth 3-3, 2-2 LEC | Fitchburg State 3-4, 0-4LEC
How it Happened
The Corsairs jumped ahead early as senior Erin Kish (Littleton, Mass.) took a rebounded shot off the pad of the Falcons keeper, rifling her try to the back of the cage for her first goal of the season and the 1-0 advantage.
With 10:50 remaining in the first half, freshman Alexis Keohane (North Brookfield, Mass.) doubled the margin as she scooped a loose ball in the circle before taking a step and putting her shot outside the reach of the opposing net-minder to tally her first collegiate marker.
In the second half, the Corsairs defense stifled the opposing Falcons, who were unable to get off many clean opportunities as they fell short in the shot column by a 6-3 mark in the closing 35 minutes of play.
By the Numbers
- The Corsairs controlled the shot total and possession throughout the game, 17-4.
- Kish, Ciara Anderson (Medway, Mass.), and Delaney Burns (Wayne, N.J.) finished the game with three shots apiece while three others had multiple opportunities offensively.
- UMass Dartmouth's Allison Burke (Franklin, Mass.) was forced to make just one save in the contest and improved her overall record to 3-3 during the complete game effort.
- The Corsairs controlled the penalty corners by a 12-4 margin.
- With the win, the Corsairs improve to 15-6 all-time against Fitchburg State, and have claimed nine of the last 10 meetings.
UMass Dartmouth travels to Worcester State for a conference matchup starting at 7:00 P.M. on Tuesday evening. The Falcons return to action Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. when they squares off with LEC opponent Westfield State.