DARTMOUTH, Mass. – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth dropped their first match of the 2017-18 season, falling by a 6-3 final score to the Wildcats of Johnson & Wales in a non-conference clash on Thursday.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 3, Johnson & Wales 6
Records: UMass Dartmouth 3-1, 1-0 LEC, Johnson & Wales 4-0, 0-0 GNAC
How it Happened
The Corsairs fell behind early on when Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wis.) dethroned the previously unbeaten senior duo Mollie McCaffery (Taunton, Mass.) and Jillian Reichert (Marion, Mass.). The Corsairs responded in the next match as seniors Kerry Magoon(Marshfield, Mass.) and Samantha Rollings (Tiverton, R.I.) took the matchup with Victoria Pizullo (Lafayette, N.J.) and Ashley Hartford (Howell, Mich.) but the Wildcats inched ahead in the final matchup of doubles for a 2-1 lead in the contest.
After senior Molina Oung (Bourne, Mass.) pulled her team even with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Hartford, Johnson & Wales applied pressure, winning back-to-back matches to give them a 4-2 lead in the meeting. UMass Dartmouth's Jenna Lahaie (Lakeville, Mass.) kept the match going when she defeated Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) in comeback fashion, dropping the first set before winning the final two. But the Wildcats sealed the win when Hernandez took Jamie Fastino (Rehoboth, Mass.) to three sets, winning it in the final by a 6-1 margin.
Inside the Numbers
- Johnson & Wales has won the last five meetings with UMass Dartmouth.
- Despite the loss, Lahaie and Oung remain unbeaten at singles on the season. Lahaie rises to 4-0 in the top flight, with Oung sporting a 2-0 slate at No. 6.
UMass Dartmouth continues its home stand Saturday when Western Connecticut comes to campus for a LEC contest at 1 p.m. The Wildcats will hit the road for their second-straight match when they meet Colby-Sawyer at 1 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 6, UMass Dartmouth 3
1. Jenna Lahaie( (UMD) def. Nina Cohen (JWU) 2-6, 1-6, 2-6
2. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Kerry Magoon (UMD) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Mollie McCaffrey (UMD) 6-4, 6-0
4. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Jaime Fastino (UMD) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Samantha Rollings (UMD) 6-3, 6-3
6. Molina Oung (UMD) def. Ashley Hartford (JWU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Alisha Silva/Amanda Strickland (UMD) 9-8 (1)
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Alison Scagnelli/Bojana Roman (UMD) 8-6
3. Angelique Gray/Rachel Tarantino (UMD) Ashley Hartford/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) 9-7
Order of Finish:
Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,5,1,3,4,2)