DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Worcester State overwhelmed the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in the fourth after three contentious previous sets, rising above for a 3-1 victory over the Corsairs at the Tripp Athletic Center on Thursday evening.
Score: Worcester State 3, UMass Dartmouth 1
Records: Worcester State (16-6) | UMass Dartmouth (8-11)
How it Happened
Three Lancers combined for 38 of their team's 48 kills, including a match-high 16 by junior Amari King (Lawrence, Mass.) on a .342 attack percentage. Sophomore Stephanie Chapin (Hampden, Mass.) rattled off 12 kills on 25 attempts, with junior Emily Carens (Northborough, Mass.) totaling 10.
Sophomore libero Jillian Sykora (Waterford, Conn.) weathered the attack storm with a match-high 23 digs for UMass Dartmouth, as four others combined for 51 digs. Sophomore Nicole Silverman (Chelmsford, Mass.) put forth a team-high 12 kills with 16 digs and four service aces, with junior Amanda LaCroix (East Freetown, Mass.) adding 10 kills and 12 digs.
An even 10-10 score in the first set gave way to eight of the next 10 points in favor of Worcester State. With the margin 24-19 in favor of the Lancers, LaCroix put away a kill and served to another point, but Carens closed the set, 25-21.
The Corsairs then made a resounding comeback in the second, paced by five kills from sophomore Colleen Riley (Mansfield, Mass.). Riley started the set off with a kill, later bumping UMass Dartmouth ahead 11-10 and kicking off a four-point Corsair streak. The hosts held strong to edge ahead 21-16 and force a Lancer timeout, and out of the break rattled of four of the final five with Riley's kill bookending the set for a 25-17 evener.
Worcester State used its highest attack percentage yet in the third set, hitting .200 to battle out a 25-22 go-ahead point. Following a nine-all tie, the Lancers went ahead 15-10 on a kill by Carens but the Corsairs stayed consistent to draw back even at 21. The visitors then claimed four of the last five points.
The fourth then spelled all Lancers, with Worcester State overwhelming the hosts with 12 kills on 27 attempts and just two attack errors. Junior Megan Leavens (Storrs, Conn.) served her team to a 7-0 start to eventually claim the 25-10 decider.
Inside the Numbers
- The Corsairs' 42 kills marks their highest total in seven games, with 75 digs serving as UMass Dartmouth's best total since Sept. 14.
- LaCroix and Silverman both posted their seventh double-doubles of the season with their kill and dig totals against the Lancers.
- Sykora registers her highest dig total since posting a season-high 24 against Lesley on Sept. 23.
- Riley's seven kills on 18 attempts with just two errors (.278) gives her the best single-game attack percentage of her career.
- Worcester State's Allie Nolan (Melrose, Mass.) put forth 42 assists, the highest individual total against the Corsairs so far this season.
- The Lancers have now claimed the past four meetings between the two programs.
UMass Dartmouth makes the short trip to Wheaton (Mass.) on Saturday to meet the Lyons and Western New England for a tri-match beginning at 1 p.m. Worcester State meets league foe Framingham State at 11 a.m. on Saturday before squaring off with Plymouth State.