AUBURNDALE, Fla. – Corsair junior Nate Tellier (Attleboro, Mass.) teed up his clutch gene for the second time in three games by delivering the walk-off hit in the bottom of the ninth to push UMass Dartmouth past Montclair State University, 6-5, at Lake Myrtle Field #7 on Thursday morning.
Blue and Gold starting pitcher Louie Berdecia (Mahopac, N.Y.) slung 6.2 innings for the victors (4-4), allowing four runs while striking out five. The Red Hawks (3-4), received a pair of hits each from its 3-4-5 hitters.
How it Happened
- UMass Dartmouth jumped on the board in the first with leadoff man JR DiSarcina (Barnstable, Mass.) cashing in on his leadoff walk by eventually sliding home on a wild pitch. The Corsairs added another on junior Mike Knell's (Dennis, Mass.) RBI single to left to plate senior Chris Wood (Berkley, Mass.) (2-0).
- The Red Hawks touched the board for one in the second before taking the lead in the third, receiving a two-run double from senior Nick Martinez (Wall, N.J.) (3-2), but saw its advantage quickly evaporate as the Corsairs plated a trio in their half. DiSarcina spurred the offense once again, leading off with a triple, then trotting home on Tellier's run-producing ground-rule double the opposite way. Knell added another pair of RBI's to his line, singling through the left side (5-3).
- Things quieted in the middle innings for both sides until the seventh when Montclair State freshman Kyle Forcini (Chesterfield, N.J.) uncorked a solo blast to right to get his ensemble within one (5-4). The Red Hawks threatened for more in the frame with runners on first and second with two out, but sophomore reliever Max Penton (Waltham, Mass.) retired his hitter to preserve the one run lead.
- Tellier, who took the mound in the eighth and abandoned a runner on third, remained in for the ninth but Martinez struck again with a game-tying RBI triple to deep center (5-5). The inning was brought to a halt right upon being tied, though, as Tellier backed up an errant throw to third and snapped it over to Knell to tag Martinez for the third out.
- Nine-hole hitter Jon Candiales (Attleboro, Mass.) reached base in the ninth on a high throw by the Red Hawk shortstop, then advanced 90 feet over into scoring position on Wood's single two batters later. Tellier was dealt two quick strikes to fall behind 0-2, but kept his composure to lace a game-winning double to the gap to score Candiales for the 6-5 win.
Inside the Numbers
- UMass Dartmouth junior Louie Berdecia (Mahopac, N.Y.)
- DiSarcina concluded the day 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a triple. The shortstop is working on a seven-game hitting streak featuring 11 base-knocks (three for extra bases) and 10 runs scored.
- Corsair senior Pat Vartanian (Canton, Mass.) picked up two doubles today, putting him at eight hits in six games.
- The top four hitters in the UMass Dartmouth lineup collaborated for nine hits, five runs, five RBI, two doubles, and a triple.
Montclair State will take on Lawrence tomorrow at 10:15am. UMass Dartmouth returns to action three hours later, tangling with Clarkson.
(Recap by: Kyle Diangkinay '19, Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant)