AUBURNDALE, Fla. – An abundance of offense supported eight solid innings by Corsair senior Matt Cronin (Framingham, Mass.) to give UMass Dartmouth a 12-2 victory over Greenville University at Lake Myrtle Field #7 on Saturday morning. The Blue and Gold (5-5) saved its best for last with a nine-spot in the eighth inning to benefit from the 10-run rule and hand the Panthers (8-7) a loss in each side's final game of the 2019 RussMatt Invitational.
How it Happened
- Corsair leadoff hitter JR DiSarcina (Barnstable, Mass.) set the table with a line drive single through the left side to precede junior Nate Tellier's (Attleboro, Mass.) bloop single over the first baseman's head to initiate the first score of the ball game (1-0).
- UMass Dartmouth added on another in its following turn at the plate, as junior Mitch Baker (Braintree, Mass.) singled and scored on an RBI single by freshman Zak Souza (Fall River, Mass.).
- Greenville got on the board in the sixth on a line drive by junior Klaiton Wolf (Altamont, Ill.) that hung up long enough for center fielder Nate Tellier (Attleboro, Mass.) to grab for the putout on the sacrifice fly that reeled in junior Austin Lawrence (Imperial, Mo.) (2-1).
- The Corsairs returned the favor in their ensuing chance, receiving an run-producing extra-base hit by senior Jack Harrington (Barnstable, Mass.) to chase junior Mike Knell (Dennis, Mass.) all the way home from first (3-1).
- Lawrence delivered a comebacker in the eighth off of Cronin's right foot, tricking on a hop in front of second base to DiSarcina who fielded the ball and threw to first but not in time to nab Lawrence, who drove home freshman Jaime Quesada (Lodi, Calif.) to inch the Panthers within one on the unearned addition (3-2).
- The Blue and Gold tacked on four key insurance runs in the home half of the eighth before recording an out, taking advantage of a wild pitch and two balks to bookend Baker's RBI single to center (7-2). Senior Chris Wood (Berkley, Mass.) then pulled a single through the drawn-in infield to add two more (9-2). Knell then finished the game off with a three-run bomb to left center to put the Corsairs up 10 (12-2), concluding the getaway day affair.
Inside the Numbers
- UMass Dartmouth leaves with a 5-4 slate in the 2019 RussMatt Invitational.
- Winning right-hander Cronin allowed four hits, two runs (one earned), two walks, and sat down nine in eight innings of work. He yielded nine ground outs on 106 pitches, 68 of which were placed in the zone. The starter registered three 1-2-3 frames.
- Knell's game-ending blast accounted for his fourth round-tripper of the season. He upped his slash line to .378/.500/.811.
- Wood recorded a hit in all nine Florida games for a nine-game hitting streak, leading the squad with a .472 batting average. The right fielder also leads the team in hits with 17, just ahead of DiSarcina (15).
- Baker broke his slump with a pair of hits today, scoring twice and driving one in as well.
- The Corsairs improve to 4-0 when leading after seven.
UMass Dartmouth returns home to New England tonight, taking on Roger Williams at the Hawks' place on Wednesday afternoon at 3 p.m. Greenville will also resume action on hump day, playing Iowa Wesleyan in a doubleheader at 2 and 5 p.m.