DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Corsair senior Matt Cronin (Framingham, Mass.) limited the visiting Colonials to six hits over eight innings, relinquishing a lone run to go along with eight punch outs in the winning portion of UMass Dartmouth's (10-12, 4-4 LEC) Little East doubleheader split versus Western Connecticut (5-15, 2-5 LEC) on Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened
Game One: Corsairs 5, Colonials 1
- The Corsairs batted around in the second inning for a four-run frame, highlighted by back-to-back-to-back hits from the junior trio of Mitch Baker (Braintree, Mass.), Nick Andrews (Raynham, Mass.), and JR DiSarcina (Barnstable, Mass.). UMass Dartmouth added another in its next turn at the dish after senior Pat Vartanian (Canton, Mass.) raced from first to third on an inaccurate pick-off throw, going on to score on junior Tucker Hetherman's (Webster, Mass.) sac fly to right (5-0).
- Hetherman's valiant effort on a ball laced toward the right field line came up just short on a batted ball by senior Kyle MacLean (Southington, Conn.) in the top of the eighth, plating sophomore Andrew Luis (Danbury, Conn.) (5-1).
- Junior Nate Tellier (Attleboro, Mass.) came on in the ninth to retire the side for the Corsairs' fourth conference victory of the season.
Game Two: Colonials 4, Corsairs 2
- UMass Dartmouth attacked in the second inning once again on Baker's two-out solo shot (1-0).
- The visitors tallied a two-out run of their own on a Matt Mancini (Waterbury, Conn.) double to the right center field gap in the sixth to tie the game up at one.
- An inning later, Western Connecticut runner Zach Edwards (Seymour, Conn.) was hung up between third and home attempting to score on a ground ball to short. DiSarcina, who sprinted straight toward Edwards with the ball in hand, was called for interference after brushing with the runner which allowed the Colonials to cross the plate (2-1). Luis did not let the hosts escape the woods just yet, singling to the gap to extend the lead to two (3-1).
- The Corsairs got one back right away in Harrington's at-bat to lead off the seventh, depositing an opposite-field dinger over the left-centerfield wall to get his team within one (3-2).
- With runners on first and second for the Colonials in the eighth, a wild pitch in the dirt clanked off the back stop; the hosts could not immediately locate the live ball, allowing for Western Connecticut to tack on another (4-2).
- UMass Dartmouth had runners in scoring position, featuring the tying run on second base, but could not deliver the big hit to knot things up.
Inside the Numbers
- DiSarcina extended his hitting streak to 19.
- Seven different Corsairs picked up a hit, with Tellier, Vartanian, and Andrews each collecting a pair.
- Colonial starter Matt Fasoli (Trumbull, Conn.) took the loss for the visitors, exiting after 129 pitches. Counterpart Cronin located 74 of his 111 tosses in the zone.
- In four games since Mar. 16, the Corsair ace has gone a minimum of 7.2 innings in each of his starts.
- Vartanian picked up two more hits in three turns at the dish, scoring twice.
- The Corsair pitchers racked up 11 strikeouts.
- Mancini logged the lone multi-hit performance for his offence, going 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Blue and Gold sophomore Max Penton (Waltham, Mass.) made his first collegiate start, going four shutout innings, yielding a hit and a pair of walks while striking out five.
The Corsairs travel to No. 19 Babson on Monday at 3:30 p.m. 24 hours later, Western Connecticut continues Little East play by hosting Rhode Island College.
(Recap, photo by: Kyle Diangkinay '19, Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant)