BEVERLY, Mass. – Five different Gulls crossed the plate to support sophomore pitcher Cooper Anibal's (Bedford, N.H.) five scoreless innings of relief as Endicott College defeated UMass Dartmouth, 6-1, at North Field on Thursday afternoon.
How it Happened
- UMass Dartmouth got on the board in its first trip to the dish as junior Mike Knell (Dennis, Mass.) doubled home senior Chris Wood (Berkley, Mass.) for an early advantage (1-0).
- The hosts answered with a pair in the second without notching a hit, capitalizing on three walks, a hit batter, and a fielding error in the frame (2-1). Endicott tallied three more in the third inning after RBI singles from junior Brendan McDonald (Quincy, Mass.) and freshman Joseph Millar (Lake Hopatcong, N.J.) (5-1).
- The Gulls plated their last score in the seventh on sophomore Kyle Brennan's (Wallingford, Conn.) sac fly to shallow right.
Inside the Numbers
- Endicott moves to 8-3 in the all-time series against the Blue and Gold.
- Corsair righty Shane Reardon (Kinnelon, N.J.) tossed four innings out of the pen, yielding just a hit and a run. The junior struck out four of the 14 hitters he faced.
- Wood bumps his hitting streak to six straight and 10 of his last 11 games.
- Senior Pat Vartanian (Canton, Mass.) nabbed his third consecutive multi-hit game and eighth of the campaign.
Head Coach Bob Prince leads his group back to Dartmouth for a Little East Conference doubleheader versus Castleton University beginning at noon. Endicott hosts Gordon at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow.
(Recap, photo by: Kyle Diangkinay '19, Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant)