DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Three Corsairs put up 20-plus point totals as the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth men's basketball team snapped a three-game skid with a 22-point victory over Plymouth State in Little East Conference competition on Saturday.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 100, Plymouth State 78
Records: UMass Dartmouth (10-7, 3-4 LEC) | Plymouth State (6-10, 0-7 LEC)
How it Happened
Plymouth State's Mike Osgood (Nashua, N.H.) lit up the scoreboard with a game-high 34 points, converting on 14-of-25 from the field to lead all scorers. He also grabbed a team-high five rebounds, and was joined by Ruay Bol (South Portland, Maine) and Shawn Pierre (Spring Valley, N.Y.) in double-figures.
UMass Dartmouth saw a group effort, with senior Joshua Imadiyi (Lynn, Mass.) leading the way with 22 points and 12 rebounds. Freshman Jake Ashworth (Fairhaven, Mass.) sunk 5-of-7 3-pointers on his way to 21 points, with junior Arinze Obiora (Lagos, Nigeria) posting a 20-point, 10-board double-double.
A 3-point bucket by Ashworth at the 11:25 mark of the first half put UMass Dartmouth up nine, and the Corsairs kept on the gas for the remainder of the contest. After Collin Sullivan (Plymouth, N.H.) brought the Panthers back within five with three minutes remaining in the half, a pair of free throws by sophomore Brandon Williams Jr. (Dorchester, Mass.) sparked an 11-0 Corsair run with five from junior Atakan Akcam (Ankara, Turkey).
UMass Dartmouth would take a 16-point halftime lead into the break and increase the margin even further into the final stanza. A 3-pointer by Ashworth and corresponding steal and layup by Akcam bumped the Corsairs up by more than 20 four minutes in.
Despite Osgood registering 24 of his points in the second half, accounting for half of Plymouth State's points in the frame, UMass Dartmouth was able to keep the Panthers from mounting a comeback. Osgood put the visitors within 13 for the final time at 5:19 before the Corsairs bumped the advantage back up.
Inside the Numbers
- UMass Dartmouth posted a game shooting percentage of 53.1 (34-of-64), its highest mark since playing at Plymouth State on Dec. 2 and shooting 55.1 percent.
- Obiora registered his 10th double-double of the season, good for ninth in Division III, while Imadiyi earned his seventh such outing.
- The Corsairs dominated the boards, outrebounding the Panthers 43-27 including 14 rebounds on the offensive end.
- UMass Dartmouth hits 100 points for just the second time this season, when the Corsairs downed Castleton 103-95.
- The Corsairs earn the season sweep of Plymouth State, rising to 55-23 in the all-time series.
UMass Dartmouth stays home on Wednesday, hosting Rhode Island College for the first meeting between the two programs this season at 7:30 p.m. Plymouth State is at Keene State at the same time on Wednesday.