Men's Lacrosse Falls to Plymouth State in LEC Playoff, 8-7

April 29, 2008

NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA-John Cogswell scored with 3:12 remaining in the fourth quarter to break a 7-7 tie and propel visiting Plymouth State to an 8-7 victory over the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's men's lacrosse team in a Little East Conference first round playoff match at Cressy Field Tuesday afternoon.

Cogswell raced down the field and fired home a shot to foil a Corsair comeback that saw UMass Dartmouth come back from three goals down to tie the score at 7-7 with 8:19 remaining.

Freshman attackman Brian Flanagan (Walpole, MA/Walpole HS) keyed the comeback, scoring twice in a period of 24 seconds early in the fourth quarter to bring UMass Dartmouth back to within a goal. He converted a pass from freshman midfielder Nick Campbell (Rutland, VT/Rutland HS) at 13:58, then took a pass from sophomore attackman Andrew Foster (Newbury, MA/Danvers HS) and scored at 13:34. Junior midfielder Matt Swirbalus (Weymouth, MA/Weymouth HS) tied the score at 8:19 when he took Campbell's pass and fired a shot that hit PSU freshman goalkeeper Billy Morgan (Winchester, MA/Winchester HS) and trickled into the cage.

The Panthers got off to a fast start, taking a 3-0 lead with the game barely five minutes old. Sophomore attackman Brian Giroux (Wolfeboro Falls, NH/Brewster HS) converted a pass from Cogswell at 13:43, and then set up senior attackman Adam Krinsky (Concord, NH/Concord HS) for a man-up goal at 11:35. Giroux's man-down goal at 9:39 made it 3-0.

UMass Dartmouth came back. Sophomore midfielder Pat Kohout (Leeds, MA/Northampton HS) fired the rebound of a shot by senior attackman Matt Leary (Framingham, MA/Framingham HS) into the net at 4:01, and junior midfielder Steve Colella (Wakefield, MA/Wakefield HS) scored at 1:59 to make it 3-2. Leary was injured later in the quarter and was lost for the rest of the game.

Swirbalus tied the score with a goal at 12:08. But sophomore midfielder Steve Engel (South Windsor, CT/South Windsor HS) scored at 10:43 to make it 4-3, then sophomore midfielder Tim Hadley (New London, NH/Kearsarge HS) scored twice near the end of the first half to give the Panthers a 6-3 lead at intermission.

Colella scored for the Corsairs midway through the third quarter, but Giroux scored with 58 seconds left in the period to make it 7-4 going to the fourth quarter and set the stage for UMass Dartmouth's late rally.

"It was a tough loss," said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach Kevin Mahoney. "Losing Matt Leary, our leading scorer, hurt us. But we had a few people step up, we fought hard, we came back and we didn't quit. Plymouth State is a good team, they weren't the same team they were a week and a half ago. It was a hard-fought game, and they made a play at the end of the game to win it."

Flanagan had two goals and an assist for UMass Dartmouth, while Swirbalus and Colella each had two goals. Giroux led the Panther attack with three goals and two assists, while Hadley had a pair of goals.

PSU out shot the Corsairs, 29-25. Senior goalkeeper Steve Chase (Boston, MA/Boston Latin HS) made 11 saves for UMass Dartmouth, while Morgan made nine for Plymouth State.

UMass Dartmouth dropped to 10-5 with the loss, while PSU improved to 11-5 with the victory. Plymouth State will visit Eastern Connecticut State in a semi-final playoff game Thursday afternoon. The game was the final action of the season for the Corsairs.