Mustangs Outlast Corsairs In 2OT, 17-16

Mustangs Outlast Corsairs In 2OT, 17-16

NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. -- Mount Ida College junior Amanda Bowen (Randolph, Vt.) delivered the decisive strike with nine seconds remaining in the second overtime as the Mustangs outlasted the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth women's lacrosse team, 17-16, this afternoon in a non-conference contest at Cressy Field. 

Mount Ida (1-2) generated its final scoring opportunity with a successful ride, forcing the Corsairs (1-1) into a turnover just before midfield.  Bowen drew a foul on the hosts to create a free-position opportunity.  Positioned in the center of the arc, the junior from Randolph, Vt. placed the game-winner over the UMass Dartmouth's goalie's right shoulder to hand the Mustangs their first win of the season. 

The Corsairs snapped a 14-all tie with a pair of unanswered goals to regain control of the contest.  Senior Taylor Corsano (Bourne, Mass.) broke the deadlock with her sixth goal of the season with just over five minutes remaining in regulation.  Freshman Catrina Longo (Billerica, Mass.) extended the UMass Dartmouth advantage to 16-14 two minutes later, but the visitors responded with two goals within 33 seconds to draw even at 16-all.  The Corsairs had two quality chances with six seconds left on the clock, but junior Sammy Levitt (Wayland, Mass.) denied a pair of free-position attempts.

Sophomore Colleen Kane (Arlington, Mass.) powered the UMass Dartmouth offensive attack with nine goals, including five markers in the second frame. Corsano recorded a hat trick and dished out two assists for five points, while freshman Kathryn Gibb (Georgetown, Mass.) and Longo each produced three points.  Freshman goalie Leah Wilkinson (Northford, Conn.) scooped up a team-high five ground balls, while junior captain Sarah Kalmes (Billerica, Mass.) was one off the pace.

Senior Molly Sheppard (Brookhaven, N.Y.) and Bowen provided Mount Ida with an explosive 1-2 scoring punch.  Sheppard registered six goals and handed out a helper for seven points, while Bowen utilized a balanced attack with four markers and three helpers to match Sheppard's production.  Sophomore Samantha Basler (Plymouth, Mass.) tallied three points, while three other student-athletes recorded two points.  Freshman Rebecca Beaulieu (Weare, N.H.) won seven draw controls and collected a team-high six ground balls.

The Corsairs raced out to an early 6-2 advantage, but the Mustangs responded with five unanswered goals to take a 7-6 lead.  The visitors were unable to hold their advantage for long as Corsano found the back of the net with 49 seconds remaining in the half to send both teams into the intermission tied at 7-all.

Trailing 9-8, Mount Ida began to find its offensive rhythm as the Mustangs used a three-goal surge to create a little breathing room.  UMass Dartmouth responded with a marker, but they were unable to stem the tide as the Mount Ida scored a pair of goals to take its largest lead of the contest, 13-10 with 18 minutes, 34 seconds remaining.

With the game beginning to slip away, the Corsairs turned to their top-offensive option and Kane answered the call.  Kane produced four unanswered goals in a span of nine minutes to regain UMass Dartmouth's advantage.  Sheppard stopped the hosts momentum with her sixth and final marker of the contest at the 50:59 mark. 

Levitt turned in a strong performance in between the pipes for the Mustangs with a season-high 14 saves to earn the victory.  Wilkinson was the tough luck loser with six saves after relieving freshman Nicole Butts (Milford, Mass.) at the start of the second half.  Butts finished the contest with three stops.

The Corsairs held a 37-32 advantage in shots, while Mount Ida had a slight edge in ground balls, 25-24.  Gibb helped the hosts earn a 22-15 advantage in draw controls, winning nine restarts. 

UMass Dartmouth will return to action at 1 p.m. on March 8, when the Corsairs travel to Salve Regina University.