Women's Soccer Rallies Past Connecticut College, 3-2

Women's Soccer Rallies Past Connecticut College, 3-2

Sept. 20, 2011

Final Stats

NEW LONDON, CT-The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's women's soccer team survived playing the final 39 minutes with only 10 players and rallied to top host Connecticut College, 3-2, in a non-conference match at Tempel Green Tuesday.

Freshman midfielder Danielle Gauvin (Fall River, MA/Durfee HS) put the Corsairs on top when she took a pass from junior forward Jillian Van Ness(Agawam, MA/Agawam HS) and fired home a shot from 30 yards out in the 10th minute.

That score held up until halftime, and less than seven minutes into the second half, the Corsairs found themselves down to 10 players after freshman forward Shelby Friedland(New Bedford, MA/New Bedford HS) received her second yellow card of the match and was sent off.

Three minutes later, Grace Bilodeau converted a cross from Lowell Abbott and tied the score for the Camels. Sophomore midfielder Kelsey Leandro (Dartmouth, MA/Dartmouth HS/Westfield State) gave UMD a 2-1 lead when she converted a pass from junior midfielder Vanessa DeMelo (Fall River, MA/Durfee HS/CCRI) in the 64th minute, but Trish Guay tied it for CC on a header in the 71st minute. Sophomore forward Erica Jonasson (Wrentham, MA/Tri-County HS) put UMD on top for good when she finished off a free kick by freshman midfielder Maura Gonsalves(Dartmouth, MA/Dartmouth HS) 2:14 later.

"Erica Jonasson had a huge goal for us off a free kick that was the game-winning goal," said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach Nicole Hanewich. "Our team worked hard for the whole game, they never stopped. It was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen."

The Camels out shot the Corsairs, 26-9. Junior goalkeeper Stephanie Borges (Somerset, MA/Somerset HS) stopped 13 shots for UMD, while Blythe Gross-Hutton made one save for CC. "Stephanie Borgeswas unbelievable," said Hanewich. "She kept us in the game."

UMass Dartmouth improved to 5-2 with the victory, while Connecticut College dropped to 0-3 with the defeat. The Corsairs will return to action when they host Johnson & Wales Thursday evening.